DiscoverMoscow.Com
main links
site search links
site information links
Moscow Zoo
Address
Moscow city
Moscow
Russia
Telephone


Moscow Zoo directions
The Moscow Zoo is the largest and oldest zoo in Russia.

It was founded in 1864 by a group of professor-biologists, K.F. Rulje, S.A. Usov and A.P. Bogdanov, from the Moscow State University. In 1919, the zoo was nationalized. In 1922, the ownership was transferred to the city of Moscow.

The zoo had an area of 10 hectares when it first opened, with 286 animals. In 1926, the zoo was expanded to adjacent lands, increasing the area to 18 hectares. In 1990, the zoo was renovated. Notable additions include a footbridge that connected the old (1864) and new (1926) properties of the zoo (prior to this, the zoo operated as two 'separate zoos' as the Bolshaya Gruzinskaya Street divided the two properties) and a new main entrance in the shape of a large rock castle. Waterfalls and streams were added throughout the zoo.

The Moscow zoo has over 6000 animals from more than 1000 species and covers an area of about 21.5 hectares.

The zoo studies animals behaviour, feeding and reproduction and breeds rare endangered species.


« Go back to the search page


FavouritesFeedbackEmail Us

Riviera Pass Card

Moscow Zoo

Moscow Zoo

DiscoverMoscow.Com is part of the Discovery Travel Network Ltd.
Website Designed and Hosted By Website Vision LTD
© Copyright 2005 - 2009, Discovery Travel Network Ltd. All rights reserved